How to Make Your Own Mason Jar Herb Garden


What you will need:
6 mason jars (I used 3 quart sized and 3 pint sized, just for fun)enough potting soil to fill all your jarsvarious herb seeds (choose your favorites!)

window sill herb garden

window sill herb garden
Fill the mason jars almost to the top with soil, leaving enough room to add just enough additional soil to lightly cover the seeds.

window sill herb garden
window sill herb garden
Add seeds to each jar following planting instructions on the seed packet. (Or just sprinkle some in each jar like I did.)

window sill herb garden
Cover lightly with more soil. You don’t want to plant them too deep because they need the sun (and water) to germinate. Add just enough water to each jar to wet the soil and the seeds. I used a condiment-style squeeze bottle to control the water flow so I didn’t dislodge the seeds.

window sill herb garden
window sill herb garden
Affix some sort of tag to your jars to aid in identifying them as they sprout. (In hindsight, this would have been smarter to do BEFORE I added the seeds because it’s pretty hard to tell what seeds are in what jar AFTER you plant them! lol)

window sill herb garden
I planted my herb garden on June 13th and took these pictures 2 days ago. Coming along quite nicely don’t you think? I haven’t actually used any in cooking yet, but just as soon as they’re a little farther along, herb butter is at the top of the list!

window sill herb garden
Now when I have a recipe that calls for fresh herbs, my “supply” is a short walk to my window sill. :-)

Source: onegoodthingbyjillee.com

No comments:

Post a Comment